(1) Fifteen percent of the total voting interests entitled to vote at the annual meeting of unit owners for the election of directors or the owners of six units entitled to vote at the annual meeting of unit owners for the election of directors, whichever number is greater, may petition the ombudsman for the appointment of an election monitor to attend the annual meeting of unit owners for the election of directors and conduct the election of directors. No monitor shall be appointed for a special election, an interim election a runoff election, an election to fill vacancies caused by a recall of one or more board members, or any election other than the annual meeting of unit owners for the election of directors.(see additional services)
Division of Florida Land Sales, Condominiums, and Mobile Homes,
Northwood Centre, 1940 North Monroe, Tallahassee, Florida 32399-1030,
Voice (850) 922-7671 * Fax (850) 488-3395
- or -
Election Monitor, Condominium Ombudsman
1400 W. Commercial Blvd. Suite #115-P, Fort Lauderdale, FL. 33309,
Voice (954) 202-3234 * Fax (954) 202-3237
or shall use a substantial equivalent of the form which shall contain the following information. The form must, as applicable:
1. State that the purpose of the petition is to seek signatures for the appointment of an election monitor by the ombudsman for the annual meeting of unit owners for the election of directors;
2. Contain a signature space for authorized unit owners or voting interests to sign and must provide a space for those signing the petition to provide his or her name;
3. Identify his or her unit number;
4. Supply the date that each unit owner signed the petition;
5. Provide the name of an individual who is authorized to represent the unit owners petitioning for the appointment of an election monitor, along with the mailing address, telephone number, fax number, and email address of the representative;
6. Indicate that if a monitor is appointed, the association and all its members shall be obligated to pay the costs and fees of the monitor; and
7. State the total number of voting interests in the association.
8. Briefly state the basis for having an election monitor appointed (optional).
9. State the date, place, and time of the election.
(b) Only the signatures of those persons who are unit owners of record shall be counted in the calculation to determine whether the minimum number of votes have been cast in favor of requesting the appointment of a monitor.